Thursday, November 20, 2014

Apple Fritter Bread


The theme for this month's Improv Challenge is apples and cinnamon, one of the best combinations on the planet. There are countless options for those two ingredients, but in the end, I settled in this recipe for apple fritter bread. I love apple fritters, and I love that apple cinnamon bread they have in my local grocery, always tempting me as soon as I walk in the door...

I adapted this recipe slightly to use applesauce in place of some of the butter - since we're baking with apples we might as well increase the apple goodness, and make it easier to indulge in more than one slice!


Apple Fritter Bread

2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
4 apples, cored and chopped, and mixed with 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-4 Tbsp. milk or cream

In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and applesauce until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add this alternately to the creamed butter mixture with the milk, mixing just until combined.

Spread 1/4 of the batter into a greased loaf pan, and then repeat for a second pan. (You will have used half the batter now.) Layer each pan with 1/4 of the apple mixture and 1/4 of the brown sugar mixture. Carefully add 1/2 the remaining batter to each pan, then top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Use a table knife to gently swirl the topping into the batter.

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and place on a wire rack. Let cool 15 minutes, then carefully remove from pans.

For the glaze, whisk together the sugar and milk until it is your desired consistency; drizzle over loaves. Let cool completely before slicing.

These loaves freeze well, too.




6 comments:

  1. oh yeah! Apple fritters used to be my favorite growing up! Love that you've turned them into a delicious bread, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple fritters but I don't love frying them, I think this bread version will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace spoke for me. I prefer not to fry but I do love the taste. This is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loofa apple fritters!! Great idea to make a bread out of it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple fritters but my husband doesn't like apples :( I wonder if I could make blueberry fritter bread or else I might eat the whole loaf by myself :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bread, Sara! I bet it smells divine as it bakes. Thanks so much for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.