Monday, June 18, 2012

Baby Bella "Fries"



It's another reveal day for Secret Recipe Club! This month I was assigned to the blog of our gracious hostess, Angie! I love finding new ways to prepare vegetables, so I knew I had my recipe when I found this fun new twist on mushrooms.

These would be great paired with any kind of meat, or for a meatless dinner with a big salad. Angie made hers with sliced portobellos, but I used baby bellas. I also changed it up slightly by using panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) instead of regular. I like the crunch that panko provides.

I also made a dipping sauce of equal parts Ranch salad dressing and chili garlic sauce. Between the red pepper flakes in the coating mix and this dip, it packed quite a punch spice-wise!

Start by creating the coating mixture. In a small shallow bowl or on a small plate, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese,



garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano,



and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to combine. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs. Slice the mushrooms,



then dip in the egg



and then the breadcrumbs, coating both sides of the mushroom.



Place the coated mushrooms on a large baking sheet, either greased or lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 8 minutes, flip each mushroom over then bake for an additional 6-8 minutes. There will be a wonderful aroma while these bake!

Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice, or enjoy them as is.

One year ago: Shaved Asparagus and Boursin Pizza
Two years ago: Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream
Three years ago: Frosty Coffee Pie

Find more great stuff at Mangia Monday, Menu Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays, My Meatless Mondays, Mop it Up Mondays, Seasonal Inspiration, Mix it Up Monday, Melt in your Mouth Monday.



Baby Bella "Fries"

1 cup panko
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
8 oz. package baby bella mushrooms
2 eggs, beaten

In a shallow bowl or on a plate, mix together the panko, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, beat the two large eggs.

Slice the mushrooms thickly, then dip in egg and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Makes 8 appetizer servings.



17 comments:

  1. I'm a huge baby bella fan and never thought to try mushroom fries. Must fix problem ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time that mushroom fries have crossed my path and, quite frankly, I think I need to give this a shot! Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap! That's pretty neat. I never would have thought of such a recipe. Although I am not a mushroom fan, I have plenty of friends who are going to love these ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, great choice for the SRC! I LOVE mushrooms and am excited to try these! We LOVED your Cherry Oatmeal Muffins! So glad that you shared that recipe, thank you and so happy to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be in so much trouble if I made these! YUM! I would eat the entire batch in about a day! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I love the sound of the sauce you made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had Angie last month and made the same thing! They were super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great twist on fries--these look incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those look amazing! My family would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look quite tasty! I think the Panko was a good switch out....can't go wrong there! Great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love me some shroom's, gotta try this recipe asap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool!! Never thought of serving something like that before. Can't wait to give it a try. Great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to serve mushrooms. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mushrooms look delicious, love that they have Parmesan in the mix...yum.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMMM--these look divine! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had something similar at a restaurant but with slices of regular portobellas...they were terrific. Glad to have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a thoughtful posts. It was enough to get me to browse through your earlier posts. I'm really glad. You've created a great spot to visit and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day.
    weaning

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.